Key Self-Assessed Tax Dates 2016 – 2017

Self-Assessment is a system used by the HMRC to collect income tax from sources where it hasn’t been automatically deducted, such as self-employment and rental income, etc. If you need to file a self-assessed tax return, you should submit it at the end of the tax year on 5 April.

You should be filing a self-assessed Tax Return if you’re self-employed, a company director, earn over £50,000 and you or your partner claims Child Benefit, earned over £2,500 in untaxed income such as renting income, investments or savings. Or if you have saving and investments exceeding 10,000 before tax, your income exceeded £100,000, you lived abroad and had a UK income or if you had dividends from shares.

Sometimes HMRC may send a letter requesting a tax return and you must submit one, if even you are not required to pay any tax. How much tax you pay depends on your income tax band. The HMRC will calculate what you owe from the information on your tax return.

Key UK Tax Dates for your diary

5 October 2016
Deadline to register with the HMRC if you became self-employed or started receiving income from property. You should submit a form CWF1 for self-employment or form SA1 for non-self-employedincome to HMRC.

31 October 2016 (midnight)
Deadline for paper self-assessment returns for 2015/16 tax year

30 December 2016
Deadline for online submission of self-assessment tax returns for year ending 5 April 2016 for HMRC to collect tax through PAYE tax codes where they owe less than 3,000.

31 January 2017 (midnight)
Deadline for online self-assessment tax returns for 2015/16 tax year.

31 January 2017 (midnight)
Deadline for paying tax bill for tax year ending 5 April 2015/16.

5 April 2017
End of tax year 2016/17

Need help with your self-assesment Tax Return? Contact Gervis now

You must tell HMRC if you:

  • Change your personal details (name, address, etc.)
  • Or become self-employed

If you become unemployed or can’t work due to illness, you may be able to apply for National Insurance credits to fill any gaps in your contributions.